, Hair Care
Hair loss in autumn: putting a stop to it
Daily we lose, on average, between 80 and 100 hairs. This loss is considered as normal and does not affect the process of hair growth, because they are already being replaced by new ones which have been generated by the hair follicles (Maria-Josep Divins, 2015).
rThe hair suffers a cyclical seasonal loss: in spring it dies and in autumn it falls out, because it undergoes an intense process of natural renovation which culminates with the appearance of a new hair, according to Doctor Ramón Grimalt, professor of Dermatology at the University of Barcelona and member of the Spanish Academy of Dermatology and Venereology (AEDV).
Adopting certain habits and giving the hair the specific care it needs is the best way to recover and strengthen it.
Why does hair fall out?
According to the Foundation at the Spanish Academy for Dermatology and Venereology more than 50% of men and 25% of women suffer from some type of alopecia.
In addition to the natural tendency of hair falling out at certain times of the year (autumn is when you experience a more severe hair loss), there are various influencing factors:
- Hormonal changes. During pregnancy or the menopause you are prone to an increase in hair loss.
- Stress. This is one of the main causes with a greater impact on hair loss, which can cause between half and three quarters of hair to fall out. It is usually a temporary loss, but it can become chronic.
- Anemia. The lack of red blood cells is the most common cause of acute diffuse alopecia, a problem which causes the progressive loss of hair in a particular area, without causing total baldness.
- Diet. Dehydration and a deficiency in certain nutrients can cause a loss of hair.
- Certain habits. The frequent use of hair dryers and straighteners, as well as certain shampoos, can affect hair loss. Some hairstyles and updos which cause the hair to be very strained, if done daily, can create tension in the hair follicles and contribute to their falling out.
- Medication. The contraceptive pill, certain anti-depressants and some other drugs can contribute to hair loss.
How can we prevent hair loss?
Hair loss, especially in women, is usually a reaction to something and therefore will grow back. The slowing down of hair loss mainly depends on giving your hair the care it deserves, both externally and internally.
- Internal care. Diet is critical to avoid hair loss. It is advisable to drink liquids, especially water (minimum 2 litres a day) and include proteins, essential fatty acids (present in nuts, oily fish and vegetable oils) and vitamins which are essential for hair (especially A, B, C and E) in your diet.
- Externally. Use anti hair loss products which contain proteins, vitamins and minerals to strengthen the hair and increase its density and volume. Capsules and lotions also exist which are very effective against seasonal hair loss and help to stimulate hair growth.
We leave you some tips from Farmacia El Alquián that will be useful to prevent hair loss. Consequently, if you take on this advice, you will be able to nourish and repair the hair follicles from within
and this will be reflected in your hair, which will grow strong and healthy again.