These days, more than ever, we have all the information we could ever need. We can all be expert nutritionists, fashionistas or commentators in the time it takes to do a search on a mobile phone.
But sometimes it can be a good idea to spend a little longer researching something you are interested in.
Like breakfast, for example, which has been the subject of endless discussions. Even if the only part you can remember is that it’s the most important meal of the day, then that’s enough to keep us happy.
From a physiological standpoint, the first meal of the day is important because it literally breaks the overnight fast. While we rest, numerous brain functions ‘sleep’ and need the energy from a good breakfast to reactivate the following day.
The basic nutrients you need for this are vitamins,, iron, zinc and calcium among other minerals, so a good breakfast might be defined as a balanced combination of dairy products, bread, cereals and fruits which, when combined, account for 30% of the nutrients that the body needs daily to function correctly.
• Dairy products in general: (Milk, yoghurt, cheese, which combined with cereals provide high-biological-value proteins)
• Cereals, biscuits or bread: high in energy and carbohydrates.
• Fruit and fruit juices: since these are not stored in the body, they should be eaten daily.
This is a perfect example, a bowl of quinoa with blackberries and almonds. Quinoa contains selenium, a mineral that improves skin elasticity. Blackberries are packed with antioxidants, which fight free radicals, while almonds are high in vitamin E, which protects the skin from the environment and from the sun.
To prepare it, you’ll need:
- 1 cup of quinoa
- 1 3/4 cup unsweetened coconut or almond milk
- 1 cup of assorted strawberries and blackberries
- 1/2 cup of almonds
- 1 tablespoon of agave syrup
- 1/8 teaspoon cinnamon
1. Wash and rinse the quinoa the previous night and allow to dry.
2. In the morning, boil the almond or coconut milk in a saucepan and add the quinoa.
3. Add the agave and cinnamon. Mix well.
4. On a low heat, cover the pan and simmer for about 10 minutes until the quinoa is fluffy and creamy. Watch it doesn’t get dry.
5. Serve and top with the blackberries and almonds.
REMEMBER that the other meals of the day are important, too. Above all, try to drink two litres of water a day. You can’t imagine how much it will improve your skin.
For even better breakfasts, use Proteos Hydra Plus SP ampoules every morning . Since many fruits and vegetables have antioxidant properties, they also have extraordinary moisturising qualities. This means that they protect the skin from the oxidative stress caused by environmental factors every day. So, if you want to give your skin the best possible protection, we recommend our Proteos Hydra Plus SP ampoules, and advise you to increase your fruit (cranberries, grapes, blackberries and plums) and vegetable intake (carrots and green peppers) throughout the day. Because nutrition and cosmetics are closely related!